Thursday, February 21, 2013

Self-Esteem


There are certain things that occur in our adult lives that make us question ourselves. Everyone around us tells us to not let it affect ourselves the way it is, but most people, some only for the briefest moment, will question themselves and their worth. For many we fight our whole lives to get a foothold in our self-esteem. Some struggle more than others do. Some people cannot look into the mirror without tearing themselves apart. Throughout younger years, we think that maybe as we get older that it will get better, but unfortunately, for many, it does not. Occasionally we match our self-esteem with what others think of us. You might have people around you telling you that you are uglier than sin and should hide under a rock. They might be telling you to lose some weight, that it is disgusting. On the other end, they could be telling you that you are absolutely beautiful. That you are so skinny and that is pretty. Many of us have decent support systems that we get less of the negative comments in our lives, but yet we still battle with ourselves.
I am told daily that I am beautiful. That I am sexy. I hear these comments, but I put no stock in them. I look in a mirror and all I see are flaws. From head to toe I can pick out at least one issue with every part of my body, even in the most flattering of images, I can still tear myself a new one. I have a daily struggle with my own self-esteem. It was on a high note until recently. I was happy, loved myself, and loved my life. One day I found out that one person in my life that means the world to me has very much betrayed me. This has caused me to question myself and my looks. Ultimately, I know that I will see it for what it truly is, not an issue with me, but this other person has an issue within himself or herself, but until I get to that point, no one can really help me. I can only help myself.
That is what it boils down to… What others do and say to us can really affect our own self-esteem, but after a certain point, we have to take charge and accept that we are in charge of our SELF-esteem. Work on those issues with the negative people in our lives, cannot fix it? Then boot them. You cannot work on yourself with a little negative devil on your shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment